Thursday, March 29, 2007

Day Nine

Discussing controversial topics with freshman is a challenge. Who would have guessed, right? They aren't quite to the stage where they can talk about HOW to have a discussion without actually talking about the topic that was used as an example. My goal by the end of this trimester is to get my students to have a large-group discussion that flows smoothly and that doesn't need to be moderated by me (calling on people who have their hands raised).

BEST MOMENT: Today, my fifth hour class actually sat in their seats for more than 30 seconds and listened to me (and each other) for periods lasting longer than 5 seconds. This is progress. It's good. Hopefully this stems from respect for one another and me rather than some other external factor.

ANOTHER BEST MOMENT: I made an attempt to match the students' energy at the beginning of each hour today and they asked me if I was on drugs or crazy... then I pointed out the fact that I was simply as energetic as them. They were shocked that I could do that and shocked that they look like that to me. Very funny.

WORST MOMENT: My worst moment today was when I realized that one of my (usually very upbeat) students was not having a good day and I didn't have time to stop and ask him if he was alright. I feel bad that I didn't have time for that today. I need to learn how to make time to talk to individual students, even when I'm really busy.

Tomorrow: a visit from my supervisor!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home