Wednesday, September 15, 2010

ALT!

I'm so committed to this school, even though I've been here less than two weeks. The students are absolutely amazing: so many of them are incredibly talented, intelligent, and mature. There are some who are not quite as mature, maybe, but they have likely lived more life than I can even wrap my brain around at age 26. The staff is wonderful to work with: I really feel like I am heard when I have an idea and I feel that my work is both validated and valued. Planning classes is a ton of work, but it's so rewarding: I've had students compliment my choices of topics and I've seen most of them smile and laugh and be engaged while learning new concepts. That is such a treat!

I'm a little concerned that this is simply a "honeymoon" period with the program, but I'm hoping it's not. At this point, if someone offered me a job there over the mainstream high school, I would likely take it. That's not to say that I don't love my job at the mainstream school!-- I do. I'm just really enjoying the freedom that at alternative school presents for both teachers and students. I love teaching freshmen, and I miss that, so it will be good to go back later this year. I honestly don't know where I'd be happiest long-term. (Which is something I've been thinking about a lot lately, but that's for an entirely different blog!)

My to-do list is ever-growing, so I'm going to end here. I simply wanted to make sure my happiness and satisfaction were documented for future reference. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home